Wednesday 6 June 2007

THE WORLD COLLAPSES

*** Okay, just the Humberside part of it. ***
Early Saturday evening I am in the studio reading the news. Through the narrow glass panels on the control room double doors I spot the Paull Hunsley Electric Wireless Show DJ TIM JIBSON appear. Placing his music case down on the floor, he crosses his arms, leans back and smiles at me. Behind him is an eight foot by six foot map of Humberside. Somehow he's pushed it back a tad or two and it's wobbling. I continue reading the news with one eye on the map. It is now most certainly falling forward. No one in the control has noticed. I wave. Tim waves back. I haven't time to hit the 'cough button' and explain. I wave again. Tim's smile grows broader. He waves more emphatically. The map is now airborne, its top at least a couple of feet out from the wall, against which it had been lying since Humberside went on air. It's going to land on Tim's head. It won't do him any harm but I am having serious problems trying to control the laughter welling up inside my chest. Think David Jason falling through the bar hatch in Only Fools and Horses. There is nothing I can do but watch. The map lands. Tim's arms stretch out in defence. The look of shock on his face is about to send me into the serious giggles. I cut the weather short and thankfully hand back to the late afternoon DJ.

No comments: