Friday 22 June 2007

BILL FROST

A terribly sad book about Cocaine from the sister of a reporter who died from the drug. Clare Campbell's OUT OF IT: HOW COCAINE ADDICTION KILLED MY BROTHER couldn't have a more explicit title. I knew the young BBC reporter when he was on the graduate trainee scheme. They sent the young reporters off around the regions. I think it was either Radio Nottingham or Radio Humberside where I met Bill. He was friendly, kind-hearted, clever and great fun. The saddest part of this story was hearing from his sister how coke had taken over his life. In those days we went out for a drink of a night. I remember talking to Bill the following morning. We were comparing hangovers and I offered him a paracetemol. 'No thanks, Paul. Don't touch drugs.' Anyway, something like that. I was most impressed. Reading his obituary left me deeply touched, particularly this one from Kevin Marsh which summed up his character superbly. Another sad death of one of my journalistic comrades; joining the long list of the people I have been proud to share part of my life with. Say no more, except stay off the coke.

No comments: