Saturday 30 June 2007

UTTER TRAGEDY

An appalling story this week about a woman executive with the BBC World Service who died while swimming shortly before she was due to take early retirement at the age of 53. She was seen sitting on the beach with her head in her hands. I think this youth orientated culture needs seriously looking at. We're wasting so much talent and experience and ruining people's lives. Whether this is or is not connected I do not know. All I will say is that putting people out to grass long before their talents are fading is a shocking thing to do. There are many people I know who gave the best part of their lives to the BBC and now sit at home, bitter and twisted at the waste of their careers. Does it save money? I'm not so sure that it does. Rather a pity that the bosses years ago didn't send people home halfway through their 18-hour shifts to learn a sport or a hobby or take up training in an alternative career. Ah well, we live and learn. Great messages to send out to the young, aren't they? I'm so sorry for this person -- my thoughts and prayers go to your family. May you rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get out while the going's good. Or don't even think of taking up a job with them.