Sunday 27 May 2007

DEAD SERIOUS

Okay. Looks like fun so far. We all know journalists rank either just above or below estate agents, and you can't get lower than that, can you? I would ask one question. How many estate agents have died doing their job? I know one very clear, very newsworthy answer. No others, I'm afraid. How many journalists? You try and work it out. I have more than twelve friends who have been murdered, either by militias or by the state. One was even killed by an ordinary murderer. I don't mean those. The ones I am referring to are the men and women killed for reporting on the world as it is. Does it worry me today that they died? After all, that was a long time ago, ish. Yes, but why does it not worry many more people? It angers me that these people are so easily forgotten in our celebrity obsessed culture. I raise a hat and a glass to those friends who never reached the age of 30 - 40 - 50 - 60. Serious point over. You, and I, ought to remember that some of these characters were the most fun people to be around. They enjoyed life. That, only makes their early death more sad.

No comments: