Sunday 1 July 2007

SOME LIGHTER STUFF

A few years after I ceased working for Newsround and John Craven my mum rang me.
"Terribly sad about John Craven," she announced.
"Terribly sad about what about John Craven?"
"He's dead."
"Who told you that?"
"My neighbour."
I laughed.
"No Mum, he's not dead - just presenting a programme on the countryside. It goes out at lunchtime every Sunday."
Ah well, the difference between mainstream telly and the rest of the stuff.
Me, I'm watching Countryfile on the Oxford Canal. Beautiful pictures, great stories, and John's just as good as he was two decades ago, obviously hugely enjoying himself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once worked in mainstream telly and now broadcast in the backwaters. It is a bit like death. Enjoy your writing, young Turk.

Anonymous said...

I too wondered where he had gone. There was no annnouncement on Newsround. Did he get the job later on?